October 4 is also a Global Action Day Against the Use of Drones for Surveillance & Killing and is being sponsored by a host of groups around the world.
See more at http://globaldayofaction.nationbuilder.com/
As global citizens who believe in justice and the rule of law, we oppose weaponized and surveillance drones because their deployment:
- violates democratic rights of freedom of speech and assembly and the right not to be unreasonably searched,
- is used for extrajudicial “targeted” killings based merely on suspicion — murders — even of children inside and outside of war zones,
- terrorizes populations in targeted territories, thereby fueling hatred and increasing the cycle of violence,
- lowers the threshold to war and initiates a new round in the arms race,
- leads to the development of autonomous killer robots, thereby making even more horrifying wars likely.